A good roof is a key to keeping your home protected from the elements. Not only does it keep you and your family warm and dry, but it also helps to maintain the structural integrity of your house. A well-maintained roof can last for years, while a neglected roof can quickly deteriorate, leading to costly repairs or even a full replacement.
To help you keep your roof in tip-top shape, the pros at Ace Construction & Remodeling, Inc. have put together a list of maintenance tips. By following these simple tips, you can extend the life of your roof and avoid costly repairs down the line.
Essential Roof Maintenance to Keep Your Home Safe and Dry
- Keep Your Gutters Clean. One of the most important things you can do to maintain your roof is to keep your gutters clean. A clogged gutter can lead to a build-up of water, which can then seep under your shingles and cause damage to your roof deck. To prevent this from happening, contact one of our roofing pros for gutter repair and maintenance services.
- Inspect Your Roof Regularly. It’s important to inspect your roof regularly for any signs of damage. Look for missing, cracked, or curled shingles, and make sure to repair or replace them as soon as possible. You should also check for any loose nails and make sure that your gutters and downspouts are firmly attached to your roof. If you notice any issues, it’s best to have a professional take a look as soon as possible.
- Trim Trees Near Your House. Trees can be a major source of roof damage. Overhanging branches can scratch or tear your shingles while falling branches can cause serious damage. To help prevent this, make sure to trim any trees near your house. If you have large trees, you may want to hire a professional tree service to do this for you.
- Remove Snow and Ice. In areas where snow and ice are common, it’s important to remove them from your roof as soon as possible. This can help prevent damage to your shingles and gutters and avoid the formation of ice dams. There are a few different ways you can remove snow and ice from your roof. A roof rake can help to pull it off, or you can use a chemical de-icer. If you have a lot of snow and ice, you may need to hire a professional to remove it for you.
- Repair Flashing. Flashing is the metal strip that’s used to seal the joints around your chimney, vents, and skylights. Over time, the flashing can become loose or damaged, which can allow water to seep in and cause damage to your roof. To prevent this from happening, make sure to inspect your flashing regularly and repair or replace it as needed. If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, you can hire a professional roofing company to do it for you.
- Seal Your Roof. Sealants can help to prevent water damage and extend the life of your roof. There are a few different types of sealants available, so make sure to choose one that’s compatible with your roof type. You can apply sealant yourself or hire a professional roofing company to do it for you. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take precautions to avoid breathing in the fumes.
Need help with roof repairs or maintenance? Reach out to our experienced team for a quote!
Have Your Roof Inspected by a Professional
Even if you regularly inspect and maintain your roof, it’s still a good idea to have it inspected by a professional once a year. They can spot any issues that you might have missed and provide recommendations for repairs or replacement.
These simple tips can help to extend the life of your roof and avoid costly repairs down the line. Ace Construction & Remodeling, Inc. provides a wide range of services for all things roofing.
Contact Ace Construction & Remodeling, Inc. online. You can also call us at 765-644-6030 or 765-282-6030 to schedule gutter cleaning, roof inspections, or other roofing services in Central Indiana.