The number of years a roof may last depends on material and weather and can vary greatly as conditions change. So, if you’re wondering: “repair or replace roof?” then there are several things to consider.
Weather can impact the lifetime of a roof causing it to age faster than you would hope for. And that can be regular seasonal weather each year. Of course, extreme weather and/or accidents tend to cause immediate damage. At that point you will find yourself asking the big question: “Is it better to repair or replace my roof.”
As far as material goes, asphalt shingle roofs tend to last 20 to 30 years. Fiber cement and wood tiles may last a little longer. Metal roofing, which there are many types to choose from, slate, clay tiles, etc. will typically last 50 plus years – some possibly 75-100 years.
Getting near the end of the roof lifecycle will pretty much clue you in that you need to replace your roof. Or at least you will need to in the near future. So, it’s good to be saving now for that new roof. When you see a problem, you still may wrestle with the repair or replace roof question.
Repair or Replace Roof – It’s like an Old Car
In some respects, the decision is similar to replacing a car. Does it have more life, but at what cost? Will you have many repairs coming, and it would be better to go ahead and replace it at that point? You basically ask the same questions.
The old “nickel and dime” problem is what we are addressing here. If the repairs on your roof are starting to significantly add up, and your roof might not have that much life remaining, then your answer is likely that it is time to replace your roof rather than repair.
Usually when something is failing with a car it is obvious. You tend to know about it because a warning light will come on, or it will make strange noises. In some cases, you may notice the handling has changed, and you know something is not right.
However, with a roof on your house there are no warning lights. And unless water is running down to the interior of your home it can be easy to miss problems under the surface.
Repair My Roof Considerations
When you are trying to come to a decision of repair or replace roof, the following items may help. Ask yourself “what will it take to repair my roof?” And then weigh that with the benefits of each option, to repair or replace a roof.
If you detect leaks and water damage it doesn’t mean that roof replacement is automatic. It really comes down to the extent of water damage and roof leaks. How much wood will need to be replaced needs to be answered also, not just the shingles. This is where it is a good idea to call a professional roofing company like Ace Construction & Remodeling.
Your roofing contractor should also clue you into the aesthetics of a roof if it applies in your case. Then when you have determined the extent of roof damage and structural issues, if any, you will take into consideration the age of the roof. How much life of a roof is remaining will help you determine how much you are willing to pay for roof repair instead of replacing a roof.
It’s possible that you don’t know the age of your roof. Perhaps you purchased a house from someone who didn’t know themselves. In that case here are some clues to let you know your roof is getting closer to the end of its life. In which case you will want to start planning for a roof replacement project.
- Shingles curling or buckling (often starts on the corners)
- Shingles are bald
- Shingles are missing
- Roof sagging
- Moss covering your roof (depending on shade, trees, and weather conditions)
- Blistering shingles
- Granules in the gutter (this is usually accompanied by other problems)
As we mentioned earlier the type of material can affect the longevity of your roof. And it’s not just a consideration as to when the roof is near the end. But the type of material might impact your repair or replace roof decision. Especially if it is an expensive material. It may cause you to wait as long as possible for replacement.
On the other hand, if the aesthetic impact of your roof and house makes a big difference in the appearance, curb appeal and value of your home, you may find yourself choosing to replace your roof sooner than expected.
But often the roof replacement cost is one of the most influential factors for answering the big question. So, you may need to do some research, and a little math to determine your best choice. Once again, a reputable local roofing company can help you weigh your options.
To Repair or Replace Roof: What Owens Corning Says
Owens Corning is one of the most well-known roofing material manufacturers. They suggest to repair when possible and provide the following list to help you. And of course, when you have too many of these repairs Owens Corning provides great options for roof replacement. Ace Construction & Remodeling is a preferred provider for Owens Corning roofing.
- Replace missing shingles if possible
- Replace damaged shingles if possible
- Repair loose flashing and vent seals when needed
Look for other signs that shingles are failing:
- Look for water leaks and damage
- Look for large bald spots (usually a sign you need roof replacement)
While Owens Corning is providing information to help you, in the end they recommend that you hire a professional. Being able to identify issues is a start but having the knowledge and experience to know how serious a problem is only comes with a professional roofing company like Ace Remodeling & Construction. Now, here are a few more tips that might be relevant. And by the end of this you can answer the big “to repair or replace roof” question.
When to get a Roof Repair
- When you find minor damage – for the most part if it is something confined to a small area it can likely be repaired.
- If you have moderate damage – again, it may be a judgement call, so reach out to Ace Construction & Remodeling.
- If your budget is tight – if this is the case and you are needing more and more repairs, you better start saving in a hurry for when you must replace the roof.
- If your roof is not very old, it is best to protect that investment with a roof repair instead of replacing the roof.
And here are some “repair my roof” benefits over replacing a roof.
- Roof repairs maintain an otherwise good roof.
- Roof repairs are usually easy to arrange on short notice because it’s not as big of a project as an entire roof replacement.
- Roof repairs generally save you money.
When to “bite the bullet” and Replace Roof
- Saving money in the long run – remember the car example? Repeated repairs can end up costing you more than a new replacement roof.
- The age is already there – so face up to it and get it done!
- Occasionally building codes change and your roof needs an upgrade anyway.
- Damage is overwhelming, and roof repair would only be a temporary fix, a band aid so to speak. Ask yourself, does it make sense to repair my roof, only to replace it just a couple weeks later?
- Significant storm damage – this type of damage often eliminates the possibility of a repair and you might be left with no choice but to replace the roof. Note: Check with your homeowners’ insurance as you may have replace roof coverage.
And here are some of the benefits to replace a roof instead of repair it.
- Aesthetics and curb appeal – can spruce up the look of your entire house exterior.
- Up to date with building codes – if this is an issue.
- Best time to fix multiple roof components (decking, joists, fascia, gutters, etc.).
- Energy efficiency increased – sometimes this is an added benefit.
- Peace of mind.
Hire a Professional
As with most Big decisions, having a local professional roofing contractor you can trust is the best position to be in. Ace Construction & Remodeling is professional and trusted and can help you answer the big question for your home. Repair or replace roof issues is where Ace Construction & Remodeling will come to the rescue!