If your roof is showing signs of wear and tear, you may wonder whether it’s time to replace it. Age is just one factor to consider when evaluating the condition of your roof. There are other signs that may indicate it’s time to replace your roof, and proactive steps that will extend its useful life, depending on the material. At ACE Construction & Remodeling, Inc., we offer roof inspection services to determine the condition of your shingles, flashing, and decking. This is the easiest way to get a professional, comprehensive evaluation that will help you decide if you need to repair or replace your roof right away.
The recommended replacement timeline depends largely on the roofing materials, as follows:
- Composition Shingles: 12-20 years
- Asphalt Shingles: 15-30 years
- Wood Shingles: 20-25 years
- Rubber Roofs: 30-50 years
- Metal Roofs: 50-75 years
Learn more about the factors that can cause your roof to age prematurely.
What Factors Take Years Off the Life of Your Roof?
Climate, installation quality, ventilation, and materials used are some of the main factors determining how long your roof will effectively protect your home and family.
Here are some of the major factors impacting how well (or not) your roof ages:
- Climate and weather conditions: East Central Indiana faces extreme temperatures and weather that can age your roof quickly. Rain, hail, wind, and cold winter weather, along with UV rays from the sun, can cause your roof to deteriorate.
- Quality of installation: Poorly installed roofs tend to leak and have other issues. That’s why it’s so important to partner with a reputable roofing contractor to properly install a new roof that lasts for many years.
- Ventilation: Poor ventilation often leads to moisture buildup, rot, and mold that breaks down roofing materials.
- Maintenance: Cleaning debris, removing moss, repairing leaks, and other maintenance keeps your roof in great condition.
- Roof pitch and design: Roofs with a steeper pitch last longer because they shed water better and faster than shallow roofs. In contrast, flat roofs tend to leak more than sharply slanted ones.
- Materials and quality: The quality of the materials often determines how long the roof will last.
Signs You Need a New Roof, Fast!
Here are common signs you’ll need a new roof in the near future:
- Age of the roof (older than its expected lifespan, or close to it)
- Damage to shingles (missing, cracked, curled, blistered, or buckling)
- Loss of granules from shingles
- Moisture damage (water stains, mold/mildew growth, soft spots)
- Roof leaks
- Rising energy bills
- Sagging roof
- Daylight visible through roof
- Rotting or missing roof decking
- Increased presence of moss or algae on roof
ACE Construction & Remodeling, Inc. can inspect your roof and replace your worn or defective roofing system. Contact us today for a free quote on a new roof, including reliable ventilation solutions and gutter systems.