Summer storms are common across the country and can wind up damaging properties. As a homeowner, watch out for scammers approaching you in the summer after storm season has hit. These scammers will take advantage of any destruction that has occurred. Even if you have work that needs to be done, it is important to make sure you screen the right professionals.
When you’re trying to improve your property moving forward, it’s important to make the right decisions. This means you need to understand what to look out for, as well as the problems that can arise as well. One of the key areas of the property you might want to consider improving is the roof. Your roof is such an important part of the home for the future.
Renovation work that requires skill needs a professional touch. Therefore, you need to bring in the right roofing contractor, like Ace Construction & Remodeling, to help you with this. That means being aware of roofing scams and storms during the summer season.
Roofing Scams and Storms
- Choose Certified ProfessionalsOne of the most important decisions you need to make is to ensure you choose the right professionals. Make sure that any roofing contractor that contacts or approaches you has the ability to provide proof of their experience as a residential roofer. They should be certified, have a website and be able to provide proof of this.
- Ensure the Contractor Has a Physical BusinessA lot of people will use many different lines to try to convince unwitting victims to buy into their scam. Any legitimate roofing contractor is going to have a brick and mortar business that you can visit. Some might try to come at you with excuses like they are a brand new startup or they are moving offices. Don’t fall for it. Unless they have a physical business, the likelihood is that they are trying to scam you.
- They Should be a Member of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) When you’re vetting a business, one of the most important things to check out is whether it is a trustworthy and certified brand. Any roofing contractor you choose to use should be a member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB). In addition, they should be able to provide evidence to corroborate this.
- Proof of InsuranceHaving proof of insurance is also really important when you hire people to work on the roof. They need to provide their own coverage for liability insurance and worker’s compensation. Make sure they have both of these things. If they don’t, it’s highly likely that you’re about to be on the receiving end of a roofing scam.
- Reviews are KeyWith the internet these days, there’s no doubt businesses are going to be able to provide reviews and references to show how great their services are. If you want to make sure you choose the right professional, ask them to provide you with positive reviews.
- Check You’re Not Being OverchargedAnother clear indicator that you might be on the receiving end of a scam is that you’re being overcharged. Make sure the down payment you’re being asked for is what it should be for the job that’s being done. Industry standard is 10-30% and this should let you gauge whether or not this is correct.
Do as much as you can to boost the way you improve your home and take these steps to be prepared. There are a lot of factors to think about when you’re looking at how to avoid roofing scams and roofing problems. This is something you need to consider right now.
If you need additional information or have questions about roofing scams and storms, reach out to Ace Construction & Remodeling. We’ve been a professional roofing contractor since 1996!! Fill out our contact form, shoot us an email or give us a call.