If you are currently experiencing problems or signs of concern on the exterior of your home, you may need to start thinking about siding repairs.
Surely you have heard how important first impressions are and curb appeal for a home. Well, one of the first things noticeable about a home is its exterior siding. Whether it’s brand new or old and damaged — the exterior siding reveals the character of your home. It makes a statement whether you realize it or not. Ace Construction & Remodeling offers siding repairs and siding replacement to keep your home’s exterior in shape.
What Damage Requires Siding Repairs
If you have damage to the outside of your home and are wondering when you should get it repaired — there are important reasons for why you want to take action now! Not replacing damaged siding could result in many expensive repairs later on. It’s always best to be proactive and save yourself lots of headaches going forward. But first, let us discuss the common ways the exterior of a home can be damaged.
Types of Siding Damage
- Weather Related – Because the exterior of a home is exposed to the elements 24/7, there are different types of damage that can occur. The first and most common is weather induced. Hail and strong winds are one of the prime suspects of weather-related damage to a home. High winds pick up debris that can hurl directly at your house. This debris can include rocks and branches that then chip and dent the siding. You may see cracking, splits, chipping or even holes.
- Rot or Mold – The next type of damage that is also common is rot and rotting spots. This one mostly relates to wood siding which is susceptible to rotting away when it gets wet and allows fungus to tear away at the structure. You may even be experiencing mold as a result of water damage. Sometimes you may see mold on your interior drywall, but other times you may not know at all.
- Water Stains – In some cases, you may see problems in only a few areas needing siding repairs instead of replacing the entire siding of the house. Sometimes water stains in a contained area might be a candidate for siding repairs. This could be near a gutter downspout for example. Look for discoloration or streaking on the siding.
- Insects or Other Pests – Wood is also susceptible to termite damage, or in some cases, woodpeckers and other pests. If you are struggling with this type of damage, the material is able to be replaced with either brand-new wood siding or a different material altogether that will eliminate this problem. Your siding could actually need replacement if pests and rodents find their way and are living between your walls and the siding.
- Paint – Some siding needs painting for upkeep, not just to stay nice looking, but to keep it from deteriorating. Depending on preparation, the kind of paint and coats your siding may need painting frequently or may last extremely long periods of time. The best thing to do is consult with Ace Construction & Remodeling to have them offer suggestions for your siding repairs and maintenance.
- Caulk, Seams, and Nails – Depending on the type of siding, it may need caulking at the seams and joints. Over time caulking can shrink and crack and siding boards can warp and shrink causing the caulk to pull apart. Along with this, if you have nails that are popping out, more than likely your siding has experienced some amount of movement. Rusty nails are a sign of possible moisture issues. It is best to get it inspected when you see these things happen as they are early warning signs of problems that could get much worse.
- Outdoor Activities – Lastly, damage can occur from everyday activities. Pebbles might have been kicked up by a lawnmower or a ball might have hit the home. Some of these things are unavoidable and it’s best just to plan on the occasional siding repairs.
Siding repairs is one of the quickest and most affordable ways to get a new look for your home. The benefits do not stop there, however, as there are other enticing reasons for why you might want to have repairs made.
Reasons to Consider Siding Repairs
While the visual benefits are apparent with new siding, some of the functional benefits may surprise you.
Saving Money with Less Energy – Are you finding that you are having to crank the heat or air conditioning up higher than you feel you should be? Are you experiencing high energy bills? These problems can be due to an issue with insulation when dealing with compromised siding. Repaired siding can get rid of the cracks that have been letting both cold and warm air escape your home saving you money in the long run. And speaking of money, this leads us to the next point.
Higher Property Value – If you are thinking about selling your home in the future, you may want to consider siding repairs. As mentioned before, your home’s siding is one of the first things that is visible and because of this, it affects the overall value of your home. We like to think of it as an investment for later. The initial cost of siding repairs can be recouped up to 75% when it comes time to sell your home. Not only will you be happy with the visual and functional benefits of new siding; your wallet will thank you!
How is Siding Repaired?
Because there are various materials that come into play with discussing siding, there are different techniques for different materials. One of the most common materials, vinyl, simply involves replacing the damaged piece. This is one of the reasons why vinyl is an excellent option — it is also one of the more affordable options. Aluminum and wood siding also work similarly in this fashion. “Solid” materials such as stucco, can be repaired via patching. Whatever siding repairsyou require, we will be able to restore your home to look its best!
What Siding is Best?
If you would like to replace or add exterior siding to your home, there are many options you can choose from. Each will have its own strengths that will work for different people depending on taste and budget. We will do a quick run-through of some of the best siding materials we provide.
- Vinyl – We can’t talk about siding without mentioning vinyl. It is affordable, relatively durable, and easy to replace. It is an incredibly popular option for providing protection and visual flair to your home. It is also low maintenance; largely being a set it and forget it siding until there is damage created.
- Engineered Wood – Do you love the appearance of a wooden home, but are concerned with the price, pests, and rot? Engineered wood siding looks like the real, natural thing and is considerably durable and lightweight. It is made using real wood in fact, wood strands and fibers are used to make these composite wood materials. But it is more cost effective than traditional wood siding.
- Fiber Cement – Another wood-like material. Fiber cement mimics wood in texture and appearance without some of the problems real wood can bring. It is a mixture of wood fibers, sand, and cement.
- Aluminum – This is an excellent option for those who want good insulation and are tired of dealing with mold. Aluminum is affordable and practical.
For help with decisions about exterior siding repairs or actual siding replacement, we are here to provide the best service to our customers in east-central Indiana. You can request a quote or give us a call: 765-644-6030, 765-282-6030 or 877-644-6030.