Is your old roof in desperate need of a facelift? If you need a new roof, you may want to save as much money as possible without jeopardizing the quality and durability of your home’s new cover. There are two ways to install new shingles, both of which have unique advantages. At ACE Construction & Remodeling, Inc., our pros can help you determine whether tearing off the old shingles or installing new ones over them makes the most sense for your home. If you aren’t sure whether you need a new roof, learn about 10 signs you should replace your roof as soon as possible.
Should I Tear Off the Existing Shingles First?
This option provides a clean slate and gives the roofers a chance to inspect your roof deck. You can then fix any underlying rot or damage prior to installing new roofing materials. Keep in mind that adding multiple layers of shingles increases the overall weight of your roof. If these options sound good to you, tear off your old shingles first.
Here are some of the pros and cons of tearing off the current roofing material:
- Your new roof will last longer and be more energy efficient.
- Any underlying damage to the roof deck can be repaired.
- If you also add new flashing, you can prevent leaks.
- More expensive than installing new shingles over the old ones.
- More disruptive to your home since this is typically a noisy project.
- More time-consuming since it involves a demolition step.
If you replace the roofing materials, you can also install a new ventilation system to address moisture and heat trap issues in your attic.
Should I Install New Shingles Over the Old Ones?
Roofing over existing shingles is generally faster, so it will shorten your timeline. It’s also more eco-friendly since your old shingles don’t end up in the landfill. This option is quieter and less disruptive but adds more weight, potentially jeopardizing the structural integrity of your home.
Here are some of the pros and cons of overlaying on existing materials:
- Less expensive because it only requires half the labor.
- Less disruptive to your home, as the old roof remains.
- Can be completed faster than starting from scratch.
- Only works for shingles, as metal roofs and tiles are difficult to overlay.
- Unable to repair roof deck and flashing.
If you aren’t sure whether to replace or repair your roof, our inspectors can provide a thorough evaluation, complete with estimates and recommendations.
To learn more about the cost of installing a new roof, reach out to ACE Construction & Remodeling, Inc. Contact us today to find out if both options are available in your area.